As a first time landlord, there are several things you need to bear in mind and these are:
- You must ensure that all gas equipment installed in your property is checked and maintained annually by a Gas Safe Engineer, you also need to distribute copies of the certificate to your future tenants.
- You need to make sure electrical system is safe in the property, for instance, the sockets and light fittings.
- You need to obey the fire safety regulations by installing smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms and fire blankets.
- You also need to make sure that the furnishings and furniture you have put in the property has fire-safe materials.
- As a landlord you need to protect the tenant’s deposit by registering the deposit to a UK government approved Deposit Protection Scheme. You can register them in Mydeposits, Tenancy Deposit Scheme, and Deposit Protection Service which are all approved Deposit Protection Scheme in the UK.
- You will be liable for the property’s structural integrity including its exterior aspects, you also need to maintain the sanitary fittings of the property which is the pipes, the drains and water heating.
- If you are planning to rent out a leasehold property, then you need be a compliant in the lease agreement wherein the approval of both parties in needed including your mortgage provider.
- You also need to make sure you have availed a relevant license for your property before renting it out.
If you want to ensure that processing is easy and accurate in all checks and documentation for you as a landlord, The Marble Property Group can give you a peace of mind. Our expert letting agents will guide you through the whole process of renting out your property.
As a landlord, you are now responsible of the Immigration Act of 2014 ensuring the ‘right to rent’ to any adult tenant to occupy your property wherein the property is to be their main home. This is applicable to all tenants renting a property as their main home even without a tenancy agreement.
As a landlord you also need to ensure that referencing your future tenant is done accurately nu checking ID documentations before allowing them to move in.
The Marble Property Group have been checking ID for a long time now, this is one step to our referencing process applicable for all tenants. We ensure you that we offer quality service to our customers.