click to enable zoom
Loading Maps
We didn't find any results
open map
View Roadmap Satellite Hybrid Terrain My Location Fullscreen Prev Next
Advanced Search
We found 0 results. Do you want to load the results now ?
Advanced Search
we found 0 results
Your search results

Where To Go When In Need Of Help

The Property Ombudsman

If you are renting a home through a letting agent which is affiliated with one of these three main trade associations, namely:

  • Association of Residential Letting Agents
  • National Approved Letting Scheme
  • National Association of Estate Agents

There is the choice of communicating with The Property Ombudsman. However, there is little alternative other than legal action by means of the small claims court, if the dispute involves an unregistered letting agent, or if you are directly dealing with a landlord.

The Property Ombudsman would only offer intervention to find a settlement and can award compensation to a tenant who has been a victim of ‘maladminstration’ or unfair dealing via a letting agent.

Residential Property Tribunal Service

This is the umbrella organization for the five regional offices called ‘Rent Assessment Panels’ which offers fair, independent, and available service in England for resolving disputes concerning leasehold and private rented properties.

Citizen’s Advice Bureau

This bureau can offer certain advice on where to get support, such as the Property Ombudsman concerning the renter’s legal rights. The CAB can also act as your advocate and assist in facilitating a dispute.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

If the property has three or more storeys and occupied by five or more renters, it will usually come under the obligatory licensing regime.

If the property requires a license:

  • The property must meet an acceptable standard
  • The landlord, as well as their associates must fulfil specific requirements

HMOs are managed by your local authority, so if you have any concerns concerning the behavior of your landlord, the state of the property, or whether your property is appropriately licensed, immediately contact your local authority’s housing team.

Home Renting Guide

Each section has been broken up and placed on its own page below to make it easier. Click the links for the individual topics and go through our complete guide to renting your home.

Table Of Contents

1. Introductionto renting your home
2. Renting From A Letting Agent Or A Landlord
3. Viewing A Home For Rent And What Essential Questions To Ask
4. Tenancy Contracts Explained
5. Responsibilities Of The Tenant
6. Renting Deposits And Fees
7. Tenancy Deposit Schemes
8. Rental Insurance
9. Dealing With Complications That May Arise When Renting
10. Where To Go When In Need Of Help